Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mango Gelatin

I visited my parents and while I was there, I had the opportunity to eat lots and lots of mango from the tree in my  parent's backyard. I think I ate a mango a day while I was there. We had so many mangoes that my mother decided to experiment and make mango gelatin. It was pretty interesting, but even though the mangoes themselves were sweet the gelatin need more sugar than what we had decided to put in it.
Gelatin powder mixed with cold milk
Mango the size of your hand!



Boiled and blended mango
Mango gelatin mixture before it sets
Finished mango gelatin

Spoon and spoonful of mango gelatin
Mango Gelatin
Ingredients
  • 4 packets Knox unflavored gelatin
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 med mangoes, mashed/blended until smooth
  • 2 tbsp sugar
Procedure
  1. Mash or blend the mangoes in a food processor or blender if you haven't already.
  2. Transfer the mango blend into a pot and heat until boiled.
  3. Add sugar to the mango.
  4. Dissolve gelatin in a cup of cold milk. Some small clumps are alright.
  5. Pour milk and gelatin mixture into the pot of hot mango and mix well, making sure the gelatin further dissolves.
  6. Pour the mango gelatin mixture into a Pyrex dish and let cool/set in the refrigerate for several hours until gelatin becomes firm. Make sure to smooth out the mango mixture so that the gelatin will end up smooth instead of full of pockets where bubbles were.

No comments:

Post a Comment