Friday, June 8, 2012

Shrimp and chive omelet

This is a very traditional Chinese/Cantonese dish that I ate a lot of when I was a kid. My dad would usually put in some onions but I was lazy this morning. Usually this dish is served for an afternoon or evening meal and not breakfast, but today I had it for breakfast. I believe this dish is pretty easy to make and not that "Chinese" at all. It's just a little unusual to see a pairing of chives and shrimp in an omelet in American cooking. I do have one really vivid memory about this dish. One time we were having family dinner at my parent's restaurant and a drunk customer comes up to the table and asked to try some of this omelet; then he goes ahead and tries a bite with his bare hands before we even get a chance to respond. Anyhoo, he liked it. Then he paid his bill and left. I never forgot it because it was so comical. I believe he was wearing a t-shirt that said "Silly rabbit, dicks are for chicks." It's funny how I can remember little details like this and forget important stuff like different ways to optimize a batch reaction. Ah, I digress.

All ingredients mixed in a bowl before being cooked.

Finished product

Close-up of finished product
Ingredients

  • 4 large eggs
  • ~ 2 tbsp of chives washed and cut into approximately 1 inch pieces (I usually just put in however much I want.)
  • 12 small shrimp
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp oil

Procedure

  1. Mix all ingredients into an appropriately sized bowl.
  2. Put oil in pan at med heat.
  3. Pour in half of the mixture into the pan.
  4. Cook until shrimp turn slightly pink and the egg is cooked enough to be flipped. Flip the omelet and cook for another 1-2 min. Then place omelet on plate when done.
  5. Repeat step 4 with the remaining mixture.


No comments:

Post a Comment