Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Vegetable Panang Curry

This recipe always reminds me of my close friend who showed me how to make this curry. You can always tell how hot a curry is by the color and I will never forget that.Whenever she made it, I couldn't stand the heat but the curry was also bright red-pink. So, I have adapted her recipe and the curry I make is a respectable pinky-orange color.
Not so secret ingredient

Delicious curry cooking in the pot
My dinner!


Ingredients
  • Half a medium onion, diced
  • one 16 oz bag of frozen vegetable blend (I used Japanese blend)
  • 3 medium potatoes peeled and cut into eighths
  • 2 carrots, diced into approx 1 inch cubes (only add this if your bag of vegetables don't include carrots)
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 can of coconut milk
  • 2 tbsp Panang curry paste
Procedure
  1. Boil the potatoes in a pot of water into cooked but still a bit hard. Drain and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, pan fry the onion in some oil in a separate large pot on medium heat.
  3. Once the diced onion is a little golden, add the carrots.
  4. Defrost the frozen veggies in the microwave according to the instructions on the package.
  5. When veggies are defrosted, add to the large pot with the carrots and onions. Also add the cooked potatoes.
  6. Stir in the curry paste and the sugar into the large pot with the vegetables. Mix well until curry paste is evenly distributed.
  7. Finally, add can of coconut milk then cover the pot and let the curry come to a boil. Then let the curry simmer for about 10 minutes.
  8. Serve with rice.





2 comments: