Thursday, February 14, 2013

Crock pot Canned Salmon Chili

Happy Valentine's Day! This post has nothing to do with Valentine's Day and wasn't even inspired by Valentine's Day. I was cooking food for myself and thought I'd share. That is all.

This was an interesting recipe. I was wondering what I was going to do with this can of salmon that I bought. I usually just prepared it like canned tuna--add mayo and make a sandwich. But this time I wanted to be more creative. As with most of my experiments I googled to see what other people did with canned salmon. One of the first things that popped up was canned salmon chili. So I decided to give it a shot. What could go wrong? In the end this chili turned out pretty delicious but I feel like the proportions of the spices need to be fixed or I need to add less orange--maybe even take out the orange. It's a little weird. I like orange zest and juice in my chili, but I figured that the acid from the orange would neutralize the basic/alkalinity/fishiness of the salmon. I might just use lime juice instead. Also, if I weren't so lazy I would have added the cilantro later so that it'd stay a nicer shade of green instead of putting in the cilantro at the beginning. What can I say? It's easier just to put everything together in the crock pot and leave it to cook over night.

All the ingredients added to the crock pot.
8 hours later

Breakfast

Crock pot Canned Salmon Chili
Ingredients

  • 1 can of salmon (drained with skin and most bones removed)
  • 1 can (15.25 oz) corn kernels, drained
  • 1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
  • 1 can (15.25) black beans, drained
  • 1 orange, zested and juiced
  • 1 bunch of cilantro, washed and coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
Procedure

  1. Prepare all the ingredients and all them all into the crock pot.
  2. Mix all the ingredients inside the crock pot then set to low and cook for 8 hours.
  3. Serve over rice, spaghetti, or potato. In other words, serve over your favorite form of starch. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment