Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Variation on Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Bell Peppers

Recently I was stumbling on the internet and found this awesome recipe for philly cheesesteak stuffed bell peppers. It looked simple and delicious or simply delicious--however or whichever way you prefer. Anyhoo, I decided to try it myself and but changed it up a bit. Instead of provolone cheese I used pepper jack and instead of green bell peppers I got red and orange sweet bell peppers just because they were on sale. I felt really proud of myself because I cooked this dish at the same time I cooked some beef stroganoff. Both recipes called for garlic, onions, and mushrooms. So much food after 2 hours of cooking. I will be fed for the rest of the week. This experience inspired me to cook more dishes with similar ingredients at the same time to save myself the hassle of cooking them separately and doing the dishes. I will see how well that goes in the coming days.


Left: beef stroganoff. Right: philly cheesesteak stuffing.

Cutting out the ribs and the stem of the pepper was trickier than I thought it'd be.










Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Bell Peppers
Ingredients

  • 8 oz baby bella mushroom, sliced
  • 8 oz thin sliced roast beef sandwich meat
  • 1/4 medium onion thinly sliced
  • 2 bell peppers
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 slices pepper jack cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
Procedure

  1. Slice the mushrooms if you didn't buy sliced mushrooms. Slice the onions and mince the garlic. Cook the onions and the garlic with butter and oil in a large non-stick pan on medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the mushrooms, salt and pepper. Stir the pan frequently. Let the onions and mushrooms caramelize.
  2. Cut the peppers lengthwise. Remove the stem, seeds, and ribs from the inside of the peppers.
  3. Place peppers in a baking dish and line the inside of each pepper with pepper jack cheese.
  4. While the onions and mushrooms are cooking, take your slices of roast beef sandwich meat and stack them on top of each other and cut into thin strips.
  5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  
  6. Add the beef strips to the pan when the onions and mushrooms have caramelized. Mix well until beef is warm.
  7. Stuff the peppers with the filling and then cover each pepper with a slice of cheese. 
  8. Cook in oven for 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment