Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Crock pot chickpea (garbanzo bean) and kale curry

From this point on I will be trying to eat healthier by cutting out red meat and some carbohydrates while increasing my intake of leafy greens, legumes and tempeh. This recipe can be easily turned vegetarian friendly by removing the chicken or replacing the chicken with tempeh as well as replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth. I have to say that my slow cooker/crock pot has been my best friend for this last year because I have such a crazy work schedule. Also, the scent of whatever I am cooking pervades my entire apartment and it puts a smile on my face when I walk in the door and smell it. Admittedly, this experiment produced some excess liquid and did not plate well, but it was still delicious.



Crock pot Chickpea and Kale Curry
Ingredients

  • one 15.5 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • ~ 18 baby carrots
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
  • 1/2 medium red onion, minced
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 chicken breast, cubed
  • 4 cups chopped kale
Procedure

  1. Add all ingredients into the crock pot except for the kale.
  2. Cook on low for 7 hours then add kale and cook for an additional hour.
  3. Serve over brown rice and topped with greek yogurt or sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment