Monday, July 29, 2013

Lentil and Leek Almost Vegetarian Stew

Starting with this post, I made it my goal/challenge to include some calculated/estimated nutritional information with the recipe. I don't think there's enough science and math in this blog. I talk about experiments in the kitchen, but true experiments need to be better documented than what I have had previously. Hopefully I will be able to keep up. Let's call it a labor of love. Math takes time and effort. Cooking is the easy part.

This recipe came to fruition when I made a list of everything that I had in my fridge and pantry and started to mix and match ingredients to throw into a crock pot. I happened to find the leeks I had frozen a while ago in the back of my freezer.  Typically used in soups, most commonly potato and leek soup, for me leeks add something mysteriously sweet and full-bodied to the dish. I say mysterious because I slice it really thin and they end up nearly liquefying in the crock pot whenever I make stews or soups so it disappears leaving behind its essence. I would definitely say that leeks were the secret ingredient in this dish that gave the dish most of its flavor.



Lentil and Leek Almost Vegetarian Stew
2 cups per serving. Recipe makes about 3 servings.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups chopped kale
  • 5 oz baby bella mushrooms cut into quarters or eights depending on the size of the mushroom
  • 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 1.5 cup dry lentils
  • 2 cups chicken broth (replace with vegetable broth to make this recipe vegetarian friendly)
  • 7 oz baby carrots
  • 1 cup/ 1.3 oz frozen leeks
  • 1 cup water
  • salt, pepper, thyme, basil, oregano to taste
Procedure
  1. Put lentils in the crock pot first, then add the rest of the ingredients, ensuring that the lentils are covered with liquid.
  2. Cook for 2 hours on low and then stir the pot. Then cook for 5 more hours on low.

Lentil and Leek Almost Vegetarian Stew
Estimated Nutritional Information Per Serving
(Serving size = 2 cups; 3 servings in 1 recipe)
Total Calories
455.55
Total Fat (g)
1.81
Cholesterol(mg)
0
Sodium (mg)
421.69
Potassium (mg)
1477.66
Total Carbs (g)
82.8
Fiber (g)
33.18
Sugar (g)
11.55
Protein (g)
30.65

No comments:

Post a Comment