Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fancy open-faced ham sandwich

Hurray! This is something that I made that my boyfriend actually, genuinely enjoyed eating. It's really simple. I had half an Italian multi-grain loaf of bread, ham, half a tomato, and two slices of provolone cheese. The tricky part was making the garlic butter. I roasted half a head of garlic in the toaster oven, mashed the garlic (after I peeled the skin off, of course) and buttered up the slices of bread and put the garlic mash on top. Finally, put the cheese, tomato and ham on top. This was a really great snack.


Edited 6/7/2012
I realized that I was too lazy to put up a recipe when I originally posted this blog entry, so here it is!

Garlic Butter
Ingredients
1 head of garlic
~2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil (can substitute with vegetable oil if olive oil is not available)
~1/2 cup unsalted butter (I say approximately because I never measure it out. Typically I just eyeball it. The more butter, the less garlicky it will be.)
salt to taste

Procedure
1. Cover a cookie sheet with foil (for easy clean up) and preheat oven to 400F.
2. Take off most of the skin from the head of garlic, leaving only one or two layers.
3. Place the head of garlic on the foil covered cookie sheet and cover the garlic with the olive oil.
4. Bake garlic for approximately 20 minutes or until garlic is easily pierced by a fork. Color of garlic should no longer be opaque white and should be a little but golden and clear.
5. Separate the roasted garlic from the skins, carefully. Mash the garlic in a bowl with a fork. Mix in butter and salt.


1 comment:

  1. It honestly might just be my never ending lust for ham.

    Also pigs are yummy!

    ReplyDelete